Last Updated on
As I mentioned in last week’s post, I listened to a podcast by Linda Weinstein, the founder of the One Room Challenge. And one of the things that she mentioned was that it is not necessary to do the challenge in “real time” as long as the content is fresh when presented. Unfortunately I am doing this one in real time. And I wish I weren’t…Ugh. She also mentioned that this challenge is more difficult for Canadians. She’s right about that one! I should definitely have started planning earlier and more
importantly ordering sooner. Time is NOT on my side!
I ordered my wallpaper last week, and it should arrive by… October 31st 🙁 Not good. That is often the joy of online shopping when you live in Canada! I would have preferred to do my wallpaper FIRST!! But it doesn’t look like this will happen. Maybe I’ll get lucky and it will arrive quicker. Or maybe it won’t make it in time. I might have to come up with a back-up plan, or update the post later. Stay tuned…
I also found a piece of artwork that I fell in love with and ordered that as well. Only to find that it is out of stock and not available in the foreseeable future. Groan. I’ll keep looking. I may end up having to DIY something.
Bed Frame Success
I’m happy to report that I have had success with one piece of this project! Wohoo!!! That’s probably because I bought most of the supplies for the bed frame and headboard a few months ago, before I was even planning on doing this challenge.
Note to self: Do NOT do The One Room Challenge in REAL TIME in the Future.
I’ll provide a detailed tutorial after this challenge is completed, but for now here are the highlights:
I used 1″x10″ boards and covered them with 1” foam & steel grey velvet. I have a low box spring (5″) so didn’t need to build a support system. Basically I upholstered the boards and then built a box. And just used 2″x4″s to raise the box spring to the right level.
It would have been too large to move, once it was assembled at 79“x 48”. And since I didn’t want to build it in the bedroom, I opted to make it in pieces and then put it together after it was upholstered. However, I did not like the way that the corners looked. So, I whipped up some little covers which I top-stiched.
And I’m happy with the results. So, that’s one piece done. Unfortunately I don’t have a rug yet, so will have to lift the whole thing AGAIN, once the new rug arrives. Do you know how heavy a 16” deep king size mattress is? It’s heavy.
Another DIY project…yay. I’m in the process of working on this one. Although I have done a tufted headboard before. I have not done one with a border and nailhead trim. So far I have purchased my backing and am working on it. I’m hoping to have this piece done for week 3 check in. GET TO WORK 🙂
No action on the bedding or the rug . I’m still looking. I guess it will be a surprise to you and me!
Colour Me Timid
I want to add more colour, but I’m a bit of a chicken when it comes to colour. I’m a huge fan of people who do it well. I’m struggling trying to jump in. Since I am having some trouble sourcing pieces, maybe I will use this as an excuse to add some more colour. Okay back to shopping. Hope to see you next week.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. You never pay more. I just may make a small commission. Click here for my full disclosure. Thanks for helping pay the blog bills.